Scholarship Resource CenterInformation about scholarships offered to Red River Communications customers and their families
The Foundation for Rural Service (FRS) offers a college scholarship program to help further higher education among rural youth. Graduating high school seniors whose parent/guardian has service with Red River Communications are eligible to apply. They must be planning to attend an accredited college, university or vocational-technical school.
All of the following scholarships can be applied for by completing the FRS scholarship application:
- FRS Scholarships – Thirty one-time $2,500 scholarships that encourage students to return to their rural communities upon completing their education
- FRS Staurulakis Family Scholarship – Four $5,000 awards with a preference to students going into science, math, medicine or engineering fields
- TMS Scholarships – Two $1,500 scholarships
- Everette Kneece Return to Rural America – One $7,000 scholarship
FRS applications are available at www.frs.org or through local school counselors. Completed applications must be postmarked to the FRS by March 1, 2019.
MN Telecom Alliance (MTA) Scholarships
This year the Foundation will award scholarships to Minnesota high school seniors graduating in 2019. Each scholarship will be in the amount of $2,000.00. Scholarships will be awarded after the student demonstrates successful completion of the first year of college or technical school.
Interested applicants can fill out the application online and print their application. Once printed, the applicants need to combine it with their two applicant appraisals, high school transcript, essay, and class ranking.
The application and related materials must be returned to Red River Communications by February 22, 2019.
Red River Communications MN Co-op Scholarship
The funds for this scholarship are derived from unclaimed capital credits and Minnesota state statutes requires such an award must be made through a 501(c)(3) organization. Students from three schools are eligible to apply. This scholarship will be awarded through either the Hawley Scholarship Foundation, Barnesville Education Scholarships for Tomorrow or Scholarship Breckenridge.
The MN Co-op Scholarship is a one-time $500 scholarship to be awarded for the student’s first year of post-secondary education and we anticipate offering this scholarship program for a couple years.
The criteria for Red River Communications MN Co-op Scholarship applicants are:
- Applicant’s parent or guardian must have local telephone service from Red River Communications in the Barnesville (493), Rollag (937) or Kent (557) exchange.
- Must have at least a cumulative 2.5 GPA
- Must be a high school senior graduating in 2018 from either Hawley, Barnesville or Breckenridge
- Must plan to attend a post-secondary institution such as a university, college or technical college
- Student must complete the application and submit it by April 12, 2019 to the local school counselor or scholarship organization. Those applications will be forwarded to Red River Communications by April 19, 2019 in order to accommodate the senior awards night for all the schools.
Applications can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Red River Communications, Attn: Donna, PO Box 136, Abercrombie, ND 58001. The application is available as a fillable PDF.
A number will be assigned to each application and all applications from the three schools will be pooled. A winner will be drawn at random by May 1 and we’ll notify the organization associated with the student’s high school.
The winning student will be publicized in our company newsletter, on our website and Facebook, and in the local newspapers.
A $500 check for the scholarship will be issued to the corresponding scholarship organization who in turn will issue the funds to student/post-secondary school. A college transcript showing completion of the first semester and registration for the second semester must be submitted to the scholarship organization in order to claim these scholarship funds.