The primary responsibilities of the Network Engineer are to design and install company and customer networks according to Red River Communications’ specifications. Responsibilities include developing security procedures, reviewing network traffic, usage, and capacity to assess future network requirements, create and implement network policies and procedures, and make recommendations regarding new system technologies and upgrades. May assist in network troubleshooting, and other related networking duties at the direction of the Inside Plant Manager.
Essential Job Functions (May include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.)
- Designs, installs, and maintains company and customer networks according to Red River Communications’ specifications. Installs and updates network software and monitors network performance. Develops security procedures to eliminate threats to network equipment. Troubleshoots and resolves network problems.
- Reviews network traffic, usage, and capacity to assess future network requirements.
- Creates and implements network policies and procedures.
- Maintains current industry knowledge. Makes recommendations to management regarding new system technologies and upgrades. Will work closely with the network group on technology deployment.
- Performs regular routing and switching duties with an emphasis on OSPF, MPLS, Multicast and ROADM
- Performs installation, maintenance and troubleshooting duties of Red River Communications Access Network/Last Mile such as FTTH (OLT and ONT), WiFi, IPTV, and Fixed Wireless as needed.
- Assists in the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of SIP and Hosted PBX Voice services. Performs switch translations.
- Responsible for the overall planning and system administration of Red River Communications’ and its customer’s network security to include Firewalls and End Point Protection.
- Maintains strong knowledge of all products and services offered by Red River Communications.
- Ability to work after hours and on the on-call rotation to perform network maintenance and equipment upgrades.
- Maintains a good driving record and conforms to all safety practices on the job with tools and vehicles.
- Maintains a clean vehicle and working environment as to ensure the safety of all employees, vendors, and customers.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned by management. *
*These tasks do not meet the Americans with Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and usually equal 5% or less of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of telecommunications plant equipment operations and maintenance.
- Skill in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, various software programs, and telephone systems.
- Knowledge of computer network products and services.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware, and peripheral equipment.
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN design.
- Knowledge of digital switching technology.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of company products and services.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Drive to learn new skills and stay current with changing technology.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, and concisely both verbally and in written form.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to think creatively to produce new concepts/ideas; looks beyond standard solutions.
- Skill in problem solving and resolution.
- Ability to make sound decisions using information at hand.
- Must possess a valid and insurable driver’s license.
Education and Experience Desired
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each item under “Essential Job Functions” satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Electronics preferred.
- 3-5 years related experience preferred.
- Cisco, Calix, Security Certifications preferred.
- Switch Translations experience is preferred.
|PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS||0-24%||25-49%||50-74%||75-100%||0-24 lbs||25-49 lbs||50-74 lbs||75-100 lbs|
|Must be able to read computer||X|
|screen and various reports.|
|Must be able to hear well enough||X|
|to communicate with employees|
|and business contacts.|
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing – Weight||X||X|
|Must be able to write, type||X|
|and use the phone.|
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Good working conditions with the absence of disagreeable conditions.
On-call schedule, after hours and maintenance window work as needed
- Proof U.S. Work Eligibility
- On-going training when deemed by Management
- Valid Driver’s License
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
To Apply: Send your resume to email@example.com by February 19, 2021